Can a birthmother get her baby back after the adoption?

  • Currently 5/5 Stars.
You may use the stars on the left to rate and leave feedback for the current article. No registration is required. Waiting for 5 votes 5.0 of 5 stars (3 votes) — Thanks for your vote

Please fill out the following optional information before submitting your rating:

Once an adoption has been finalized according to law, the placement is considered permanent.

In some states, signing voluntary relinquishment papers is followed by a period of time during which the birthmother can change her mind. Once that period has expired, her parental rights are terminated.

Exceptions arise when all legalities have not been observed, or if coercion or fraud can be proved. In these cases, even after finalization, the adoption could be reversed. This is one reason why all parties to the adoption should make it their business to understand the law, know the professionals with whom they are working, and be sure to their satisfaction that the entire process is being done with close attention to legal details.

For more information on the laws related to adoption, please visit

Related Topics
Visitor Comments (3)
Adding your comments contributes to the adoption community. Please keep all comments on topic and civil. Visitors are invited to comment and vote for or flag comments based on appropriateness and helpfulness. All comments must adhere to our commenting rules and are subject to moderation.
Dawn Pickard - 7 months ago
0 1 4
If a mother was under the influence of drugs at the time of signing her kids to cps and was told she had to sign them over or the judge would take her rights away, Mother has made a full recovery and wants her children back the adoptions were final only 4 months ago one child was adopted a few days ago if it could be proved mom was not mentally competent to sign over kids can she fight to get the kids back #1
Sam Borowick - 2 months ago
0 0 0
I was 16 when i gived my rights up but because i was forced to so can i get my 3 months year old baby back now she is not offically adopted yet but i have given up my rights can i get her back #2
ezzie - 5 months ago
0 0 0
what happen if that perant didnt now how to read and the perant tell her cps. she sign the paper her right away the some day she said the paper.. can she fight for her daughter? #3
Settings Help Feedback
Template Settings
Width: 1024     1280
Choose a Location:
Choose a Theme: